CHEERS to South African Sauvignon Blanc, especially those of the 2020 vintage; Sauvignon Blanc South Africa announced the winners of the 2021 Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 competition – and no fewer than seven of the champion wines are from the 2020 vintage, which turned out to be an excellent one for Sauvignon Blanc.
This year’s Top 10 (in alphabetical order) are:
- Bellevue Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Diemersdal Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2021
- Flagstone Free Run Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Kleine Zalze Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Le Grand Domaine The Pledge Our Darling Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Nitida Wild Child 2020
- Spier 21 Gables Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Steenberg The Black Swan Sauvignon Blanc 2020
- Strandveld Pofadderbos Sauvignon Blanc 2021
- Thelema Sutherland Sauvignon Blanc 2020
The Top 10 was judged by a panel of leading wine experts with Cape Wine Master Dr Winifred Bowman as convener, as well as Charles Hopkins, cellar master of De Grendel; wine judge and author Fiona McDonald; Rüdger van Wyk, winemaker of Stark-Condé Wines; Johann Fourie, chief winemaker of Benguela Cove; as well as two Cape Winemakers Guild Protégés, Kelsey Shungking of Mullineux and Leeu and Victoria Davis of Boekenhoutskloof.
“This year will be remembered as a world-class top 10 and all 96 producers who entered can therefore rightly be proud of the performance of their 157 wines,” said RJ Botha, Chairman of Sauvignon Blanc SA. “We see exciting innovation with six winning wines appearing in the top 10 for the first time, as well as a good balance with four winning wines that have already achieved this feat before. The results confirm diversity and growth in South African Sauvignon Blanc, as well as diversity in origin with the winners coming from diverse regions, including Darling, Durbanville, Constantia, Stellenbosch, Elgin and Elim.
TASTE, BUY AND GET TO KNOW THE TOP 10
- Watch the 20-minute video announcement of the Top 10, a collaboration with Eat Out featuring popular media personality Success Lekabe and award-winning sommelier Joseph Dhafana.
- An online booklet with tasting notes and sensory profiles of the Top 10 is available for free.
- Wine lovers can buy the 2021 Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 collection via Wine Of The Month, as well as at Wine Stellenbosch TOPS.
- Be quick to get a ticket for the Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 tasting and canapés on Thursday, October 21, 2021 at Fratelli Palmieri (021 015 5064, [email protected]) in Woodstock; Wednesday October 28, 2021 at The Turbine Boutique Hotel & Spa (044 050 3500, [email protected]) in Knysna; and in November at the Devon Valley Hotel (021 865 2012, [email protected]) in Stellenbosch.
- A technical seminar that, among other things, conveys information about the Top 10, will be held on Wednesday November 17, 2021 in Franschhoek.
- A Sauvignon Blanc SA Top 10 tasting is planned in collaboration with the Cape Wine Masters Institute.
- Join the conversation with #SauvignonBlancSATop10 and follow Sauvignon Blanc SA on Twitter as @SauvignonSA and on Facebook and Instagram as @sauvignonblancsa.
Sauvignon Blanc SA promotes the quality of South African Sauvignon Blanc locally and internationally. Anyone can become a member of Sauvignon Blanc SA to enjoy the benefits of shared expertise. For more information, or to subscribe to the Sauvignon Blanc SA newsletter, click here or call 021 975 4440.