SITUATED on Thesen Islands, considered one of the most prestigious locations on the Garden Route, is one of the most unusual hotels in South Africa – once an old power station, now the five-star Turbine Boutique Hotel and Spa.
Surrounded by water on three sides, The Turbine offers luxury accommodation, conference facilities, the Turbine Spa plus two restaurants – the vibey Gastro Pub with happy hour and live music every Friday, and a serious rival to other Knysna restaurants – the 90-seater Island Café.
The Island Café, open daily, offers breakfast (7am – 11am), light lunch (12pm – 4pm) and gourmet dinner (6pm – 9.30pm) serving extraordinary dishes from diverse a la carte menus. You can choose to sit indoors in the airy interior where tables with vibrantly coloured chairs are placed between the original turbines, or you can enjoy a meal outdoors on the spacious terrace and soak up the view of the canals.
On Thursdays there is the chef’s table food and wine pairing (three courses paired with recommended in-house wines at R295 per person) and on the last Thursday of every month, are the wine (or gin/beer) and food pairing dinner evenings at 6.30pm, in partnership with various award-winning wine estates and featuring live music. The upcoming line-up includes:
- Thursday 16 June – A journey through the winelands with Jane Simon with music by pianist Baden Hall
- Thursday 7 July – Alvi’s Bubbly – Alvi’s Drift Winery with seafood and oysters and music by saxophonist Jaco Kriek
- Thursday 25 August – Meerhof Wines food and wine dinner with music by violinist Minx
- Thursday 29 September – Vinimark – The Wine Company with music by guitarist Brighitte Deister
- Thursday 27 October – Jakkalsvlei Wines food and dinner pairing