THE corn products used in Mexican cuisine are gluten-free which means those with an intolerance can still enjoy these yummy tostadas made with a recipe from the SA Mushroom Farmers’ Association. Also good for Taco Tuesdays.
GLUTEN-FREE MUSHROOM TOSTADAS
Serves 2-3 / makes 6 tostadas
- 1 small red onion, quartered and sliced
- 4 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 large jalapeño, sliced
- 1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 400g portobello mushrooms / 6 medium portabellos
- 2 Tbsp taco / fajita / Mexican spice mix
- 6 fresh white or yellow corn tortillas
- 125ml crème fraîche, for serving
- 100g feta cheese, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for cooking
- Place the red onion, vinegar, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Mix to combine and set aside.
- Prepare the vegetable toppings.
- Preheat the oven on grill.
- Brush the tortillas on both sides with a little olive oil.
- Place on a baking tray and grill until lightly charred and crisp, turning half way through to cook both sides.
- Season the portabellos with olive oil and the taco spice.
- Use the same baking tray as the tortillas and grill them, turning them halfway through until lightly charred and cooked through. About 5 minutes.
- Allow to rest, then slice.
To assemble the tostadas:
- Spread a dollop of crème fraîche onto the base of each crispy tortilla.
- Top with mushrooms, quick pickled onions, avocado, jalapeño slices and coriander.
- Crumble a little feta over the top of each tostada.
- Finish each tostada with a squeeze of fresh lime juice just before serving and enjoy.