MAKERS Landing’s food education programme for children, Mini Makers Food Camp, takes place from Monday, 27 June 2022 until Friday, 15 July 2022. The aim is to empower food innovators, activists and entrepreneurs aged between 5 and 12 years.
Hannerie Visser, Makers Landing’s curator says, “Kids will get an opportunity to learn how the kitchen works such as the different utensils and equipment and how to use them as well as kitchen basics such as how to crack an egg, set the table, wash the dishes, roll out dough.”
The programme runs from Mondays to Fridays and costs R1950 for the week. The daily three-hour programme includes:
- 9am Arrival and fruit snack
- 9.15am In the kitchen (theory)
- 9.45am Interactive worksheets
- 10.15am Superfood snack bar and water
- 10.30am In the kitchen (practical)
- 11.10am Active food play
- 11.30am Lunch and free play
- 12pm Collection of children – one child will be collected at a time at the entrance to the Kids Food Play installation in the events area at Makers Landing (outside Sweet LionHeart Bakery)
“We would like to get kids comfortable in a working kitchen but to also teach them how different foods can be prepared. Teaching them how taste works or what it takes to plant vegetables and herbs as well as the importance of not wasting food will be a unique and fun opportunity for them,” says Henry Matthys, V&A Waterfront’s social impact and food ecosystem head.