IN his uplifting play, Fordsburg’s Finest, Paul Slabolepszy depicts an empowered and impassioned woman as the focus of his tale, while taking the audience on a nostalgic journey of recognition, sensitivity and insight relating to the return of Thandi (Chi Mhende), from an American exile to South Africa. It runs at Theatre On The Bay from August 19 to September 10, 2022.
Thandi finds the site of the house where she was born and it is now a rundown used car sales lot owned and occupied by a Afrikaner ex-policeman (Slabolepszy), whose son died in the border war, whose wife left him, and who has learnt to hide his pain behind the mask of a used car salesman. The encounter between these two damaged individuals provides the situation for painful self-discovery, for an exploration of the tensions existing in the new South African condition, and ultimately it leads to a kind of reconciliation.
Slabolepszy is a well-known award-winning South African playwright who holds the ability to reflect an authentic South African landscape, with its turbulent political background, vibrant cultures and inhabitants, and to evoke empathy for all his diverse characters.
- Fordsburg’s Finest is directed by Bobby Heaney.
- Age restriction: PG13
- Duration: Approximately 85 minutes, no interval.
- Ticket prices: Rows A, K and CC: R180; rows B – J and AA – BB: R240; Moira Lister Box & Bill Flynn Box (sold in groups of 4): R240 per seat.
- Tickets are available through Computicket or by calling the Theatre on the Bay box-office: 021 438 3300.
- PHOTO CREDIT: Theatre On The Bay / Pieter Toerien Productions.