THE Cape Town Arts Festival hosts Beyond Busking Day at the Castle of Good Hope on Saturday 29 October from 10am to 6pm. This celebration aims to reignite our zest for life, hope, and peace. The free entrance event is billed as “When cultural, diverse street food meets street music and art performances”.
Comments Cape Town Arts Festival CEO Yusuf Ganief: “We want to change the perception of busking in line with international standards and celebrate the joy and diverse cultural flavours that our local buskers and artists offer our city’s spaces, communities and tourists.”
The event promises to uplift, intrigue, and nurture body, mind, and soul. There will be something for everyone, young and old, music and art lovers, art intellectuals, food lovers, vegan and healthy lifestyle lovers, and alternative healing practices such as meditation and yoga.
- Waterfront buskers and Beyond Busking musicians take the main stage from 12pm-3pm
- Anneli Kamfer and Xhosa hip hop rapper Flash Ikumkani strut their stuff from 4.30pm-6pm
- Bulelwa Basse inspires with her interactive poetry workshop, From Page to Stage
- Fatima Dike, lifetime theatre award recipient, shares her storytelling wisdom with diverse youth groups
- The Re-imagine Cape Town Arts symposium gathers arts organisations, leaders, artists, faith leaders, businesses, and government to engage in cause-minded conversations on reimagining the arts, busking, and a city of well-being
- African Voices for Hope and Peace comprises interactive workshops to evoke higher states of consciousness
- Be sure to put in an appearance at the Images of Hope visual arts programme, curated by Madlozi Contemporary Art
- Michael Nyoni, an award-winning sculptor, will do a live demonstration
- The Craft Design Institute creates a platform for Cape Town crafters to display their local creations in the main courtyard
- Healing and lifestyle arts include free sessions on yoga, zumba dance, laughter therapy, tai chi, and martial arts
- Youth arts edutainment, puppet shows, face painting, and juggling
- The second courtyard will host the best of Cape Town’s diverse cultural food vendors, shopping and lifestyle, and wellness
Email queries to [email protected]