LOOKING for a tasty vegan dish to impress your family or friends? Try your hand at this delicious Table Bay hotel inspired recipe that you can easily prepare at home. Compile a small list of ingredients that you may need, get out your pots, heat the stove and get ready to enjoy fine dining cooking by making truffle wild mushroom gnocchi.
“Truffle wild mushroom gnocchi is a tasty, melt in your mouth vegan meal,” says Wesli Charles Jacobs, executive sous chef at The Table Bay hotel. Wesli and his team are proud to have taken simple and healthy vegan dishes and elevated them to a fine dining level.
The luxurious five-star hotel celebrates 25 years in operation in 2022, and remains one of the City’s finest hotels, at the forefront of dining trends. The Table Bay focuses on using sustainably sourced products from within a short range of the hotel, reducing its carbon footprint.
Truffle Wild Mushroom Gnocchi
Hands on Time: 30 min
Total time: 60 min
- 400g large potatoes
- 140g flour
- 40g potato starch
- 12g nutmeg
- 140g char-grilled stem broccoli
- 120g roasted brown mushrooms
- 250g sautéed wild mushrooms
- 40g shaved vegan cheese
- 40g onion
- 150g wild mushroom mix
- 150ml white wine
- 20g garlic
- 15g thyme
- 400ml oat milk
- 40ml truffle oil
- 10g salt
- 5g white pepper
- 50ml oil
- 5g pea-shoot / micro herbs
- 8ml truffle oil
- Cook whole potatoes, until fork tender. Then drain them thoroughly.
- Allow to steam for 5 minutes, peel potatoes and mash them with a potato masher.
- Allow to cool then mix with flour, potato starch, salt and nutmeg. The dough must be soft but not sticky.
- Roll the dough into thick rope rolls. Cut rope into 10mm little balls. Simply roll each ball over a fork.
- Bring a large pot of salt water to the boil. Then drop in gnocchi and simmer until the gnocchi starts floating to the top. If they do, they are done.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and drain well. They will firm up a bit as they cool.
- Use a saucepan to cook your mushroom sauce.
- Sautee your onions in oil till soften, then add garlic and thyme till fragrance releases.
- Add mushrooms and wine, reduce wine half way, then pour oat milk and season.
- Cool down and add truffle oil.
- Blanch long stem broccoli till tender and then grill broccoli in dry pan.
- Brown mushroom should be peeled and roasted in the oven.
To heat for serving
- Preheat pan on medium heat.
- Pan fry gnocchi till golden brown and set aside.
- Heat up sauce.
- Pack gnocchi in a bowl, only on the one side of the bowl.
- Place broccoli and mushrooms on top of the gnocchi.
- Pour the sauce on the open space of the bowl.
- Garnish with micro herbs, vegan cheese and truffle oil.
PHOTO CREDIT: ANTONY SMYTH ©