EASTER weekend is all about long, lavish brunches, lazing on the patio and sipping Mimosas with friends. Whether you are staying home or getting away for the weekend, be sure to include KWV Sparkling Wine in the mix for uplifting, happy times.
Available in Cuvée Brut and Demi-Sec, there is a KWV Sparkling Wine for all tastes and occasions. These stylish bubblies are an easy fit for people who like to savour the moment and reconnect with life’s more simple pleasures. Made from Chenin Blanc grapes, these uncomplicated, rich and fruity bubblies will invigorate any get together with their zesty bursts of tropical flavours.
Whether you sip them on their own or create refreshing cocktails, good times are always on the cards in the company of KWV Sparkling Wine. Besides adding orange juice to your flute for a classic Mimosa, try some well-chilled peach nectar and make your own sparkling Bellini. Up the ante with your personal twist on Kir Royale. Instead of the traditional Crème de Cassis liqueur, add a dash of Port and garnish the flutes of bubbly with fresh berries.
Available countrywide at approximately R85 per bottle, you can sip on these fabulous bubblies all weekend long. You will be hard pressed to find better value than these vibrant sparkling wines. For online purchases, click here.
Easy Weekend Crumpets
Makes ± 14-16
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 Tbsp melted butter
- ¾ cup of milk
- A dollop of butter for the pan
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar. Add the milk and melted butter. Gradually add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, whisking until smooth. Once blended, allow the smooth batter to rest for a few minutes and do not stir again.
- Heat a heavy-based non-stick pan or griddle over medium heat. Melt a dollop of butter in the pan and drop spoonfuls of the batter into the pan to form round crumpets.
- Once small bubbles appear on the surface after 2-3 minutes, turn the crumpets over with a spatula or egg lifter to cook for a further 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Add more butter to the pan if necessary and repeat the process with the remaining batter. Take care that the pan does not get too hot to prevent the butter from burning.
Crumpets can be dressed up to be sweet or savoury. For a sweet option, serve crumpets with blueberries, syrup and cream, or keep it simple with a knob of butter drizzled with syrup or honey. For extra indulgence, add a rasher of crispy bacon to balance the sweetness. For savoury crumpets, serve with smoked salmon and crème fraîche; stack them high with poached egg, crispy bacon or wilted spinach and hollandaise sauce; or top them with blue cheese and figs.