FOLLOWING its recent brand relaunch, honouring the timeless traditions and unwavering quality the estate is so renowned for, Morgenster Estate is thrilled to announce the launch of The Giulio Range, a tribute to its passionate founder, father and grandfather, Giulio Bertrand.
Giulio’s pioneering spirit kickstarted the local olive oil industry, delivered award-winning Bordeaux-style wines and introduced South Africans to Italy’s finest grape varietals. For more than 30 years, he has put his heart into soil and cellar at Morgenster Estate. In true Italian style, this range is created with the intention of celebration. To pay homage to this visionary man, Morgenster has renamed its prestigious Italian Collection as The Giulio Range. Each wine is inspired by Giulio’s love for opera, bringing his undeniable Italian flair to tables across the world.
- Nabucco 2018 is a celebration of one of Italy’s finest varietals, originating from Giulio’s hometown region of Piedmont, Italy. This powerful, well-balanced red wine expresses red and black cherries, spice, liquorice and earthiness paired with floral notes of rose petals and violet. Is no wonder that this refined and elegant varietal was Giulio’s favourite.
- Tosca 2018 is a deliciously complex, Tuscan-inspired blend of Sangiovese and classic Bordeaux varieties. With fruit-forward flavours of dried cherry and plum paired with notes of tobacco and oak, Tosca is a true Italian masterpiece. The perfect balance of herbaceous, sweet and spicy notes is a testament to Giulio’s attention to detail.
- Rigoletto 2022 – as an homage to his home country, Giulio imported Sangiovese vines from the rolling hills of Tuscany. Today, Morgenster is one of the few estates in South Africa to grow and vinify this versatile Italian cultivar. The single varietal Sangiovese has been made in an approachable style, ideal for savouring on its own or enjoying with food and family.
- Caruso 2022, a Sangiovese Rosé reminiscent of long, sunny days in Tuscany, embodies Giulio’s persistence to bring Italian flavours to the Cape winelands and beyond. Its subtle fruity aroma is balanced with a lingering aftertaste. Pomegranate, red berries and subtle spices make this velvety wine a much-loved addition to any occasion.
- Vespri 2022 – the estate’s rocky soils, windy climate and proximity of the ocean make for the perfect conditions for Vermentino to thrive. Vespri shows off with elegant aromas, vibrant freshness, minerality and lingering citrus flavours. Delicious on its own and versatile with food.