PASSION fruit is a firm favourite South African flavour during summer. With these tropical fruits now in season, we have a fabulous tried-and-tested recipe by renowned executive chef Kerry Kilpin from Steenberg Wine Estate.
Says Kerry of this mouthwatering recipe: “Over the years, passion fruit has featured as one of the components of many of my dishes. Passion fruit is one of my favourite fruits to use in desserts, especially during summertime. I love the sweet/sour flavour! My passion fruit tart can be made simply as a tart to enjoy at home, with minimal effort, or it can be used to accompany many flavours to make a more complex dessert.
“For example, it featured on the New Year’s menu, at Tryn restaurant on the estate, served with whipped coconut ganache, mango and lime salsa and yoghurt rocks.”
PASSION FRUIT TART
- 115g butter
- 60g castor sugar
- 150g flour
- 10g cornflour
- 1/2 egg yolk
- Combine all the dry ingredients. Add butter and mix.
- Add the vanilla and egg. Mix to form a ball.
- Line a baking tin with the crust and bake blind, until nice and golden.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 5g sponged gelatine
- 1 cup of granadilla juice with a few seeds (pulp of fresh fruit)
- Combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour onto the baked crust.
- Bake at 150°C, for 10 minutes or until firm with a slight wobble.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Serve with ice cream of your choice and a glass of Steenberg Sparkling Sauvignon Blanc.