THE SA Cheese Festival innovates this year by popping up over two weekends at two different destinations, on the West Coast and in the winelands: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 April at Groote Post outside Darling on the West Coast, and Saturday 30 April, Sunday 1 May, and Monday 2 May at Sandringham outside Stellenbosch. Tickets cost R290 per person, per day. The festival times are from 10am to 6pm daily.
Johan Ehlers, CEO of Agri-Expo, the organiser of the award-winning SA Cheese Festival since 2002, says guests can expect the same unique experience of quality that the SA Cheese Festival has become famous for over two decades. “Everyone knows Sandringham Estate as the home of the SA Cheese Festival, while Groote Post offers an exceptional opportunity to come and enjoy country hospitality on the amazing Pentz family’s historic 18th century farm.”
The SA Cheese Festival offers a real value for money experience – in fact, your entrance ticket buys you a whole feast of pop-up experiences:
- Cheese it and enjoy it: The heart of the SA Cheese Festival remains the unique experience of being able to taste and buy the largest variety of cheeses – old favourites as well as innovative new ones.
- WineFest, BeerFest, Gin’OClock: Experience a curated collection of award-winning wines, craft beers and gin – after all, your entry fee includes an exclusive stemless SA Cheese Festival wine glass.
- Taste it first: Many exhibitors use the SA Cheese Festival as a platform to introduce new products and test the market – discover it here before it even appears on store shelves!
- Standard Bank Travel & Taste: Hosted by well-known celebrity chefs and wine connoisseurs, this is where cheese marries wine, beer, and every new trend. Discover, listen, and taste at no extra cost. Every day at 1pm, chef Tiaan Langenegger will give a sneak peek of his new Tiaan Proe television programme together with Ladismith Cheese (joined by his actor friend Neels van Jaarsveld on 23 April and 1 May). Chef Isabella Niehaus, who won an award for her cookbook Duinhuis in Paris last year, brings her famous smoked snoek cheesecake. Learn more about wine pairing with experts from the Chenin Blanc Association, Groote Post winemaker Lukas Wentzel, as well as everyone’s SA Cheese Festival favourite, the original celeb chef Jenny Morris.
- #SupportSmallCheesemakers: Meet cheese entrepreneurs who, despite many challenges, come from all over to introduce their unique handmade cheeses to cheese lovers, a project made possible in partnership with the Western Cape Department of Agriculture.
- Cape Made: Taste the Alternatives: Alternative products fresh from the farm such as olives, tapenades, berries, mushrooms, and even buchu water and hydroponic herbs … with bargains directly from producers thanks to a partnership with the Western Cape Department of Agriculture.
- Artisanal art: Support artisanal makers as you learn to appreciate new tasting experiences – from kudu salami to gin with honey, almond, strawberry, or chai.
- The Ladismith Cheese Carving Competition: A daily highlight – enter for free at the festival (space is limited). Show your creativity, carve a cheese, and win big prizes!
- The Hollard Band Stand: Enjoy your purchases to the beat of top artists – such as Die Heuwels Fantasties, Francois van Coke, Watershed, Ard Matthews, Kurt Darren, the rock band Flat Stanley’s first performance in years, the new favourite Will Linley, plus many local musicians throughout the day.
- The Afgri Feeds Milk Factory: Visit the friendly cows and goats at the Milk Factory and learn more about these pedigree dairy animals, the start and the most important part of the production line in the art of cheese making. A well-known and enjoyable experience at the annual SA Cheese Festival.
Sandringham is conveniently located next to the N1, Stellenbosch turn-off (exit 39), between Cape Town and Paarl. Groote Post is located between Darling and Yzerfontein. For more information, visit www.visitstellenbosch.org and www.yzerfonteinaccommodation.co.za. The SA Cheese Festival promotes the responsible use of alcohol. Make use of shuttle services and taxis for a party full of peace of mind.
Tickets are available at Webtickets and Pick n Pay. No tickets will be sold at the gates. Only a limited number of tickets are available. A Covid-19 access policy of proof of vaccination, or a negative test result will apply.
The 2022 SA Cheese Festival is supported by platinum partners, the Western Cape Department of Agriculture and Standard Bank, as well as other partners. For more information, click here, Twitter @SACheeseFest, Facebook @SACheeseFestival or Instagram @sacheesefest, or contact Agri-Expo at tel 021 975-4440 or email [email protected]