HERE’S a quick, easy and scrumptious option from the SA Mushroom Farmers’ Association, when you’re in the mood for pizza. Add a salad for a full meal, or snack just like this in front of the TV with a nice glass of wine.
MUSHROOM BAGUETTE PIZZA
Serves 4-6 / makes 4 pizzas
- 4 large portabello mushrooms / 400g large brown mushrooms
- 100g baby portabellini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 baguettes
- 1 x 375ml tomato based pasta sauce of choice (tomato & basil works very well or use arabiata for a chilli kick)
- 250g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 200g mixed olives, sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp capers
- 1 tsp dried Italian herbs
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chilli, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200˚C, fan on.
- Place oven rack towards the top 3rd of the oven.
- Place the portabellos on a baking tray. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Dry roast for 7 minutes until just tender but not fully cooked through.
- Allow to rest skin side up and release their liquid.
- Halve each baguette lengthways.
- Place on a baking tray and brush with a little olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 5 min to crisp up.
- Place pasta sauce in a small saucepan and reduce until slightly thickened and a good spreadable consistency.
- Spread a few tablespoons of pasta sauce onto each baguette half.
- Top each half with cheese, sliced portabellos, raw baby portabellinis, olives and capers.
- Finish with a sprinkle of Italian herbs, salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake for 6-8 min, until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
- Serve straight away with some chilli on the side.