CALLING all Sauvignon Blanc lovers! Sauvignon Blanc South Africa, as the ambassador for SA’s most popular wine variety, is celebrating International #SauvBlancDay 2022 with the rest of the world – and you are invited. Whether you are a keen runner, a foodie, or a serious Sauvignon Blanc enthusiast, over this weekend Friday 6 to Sunday 8 May 2022, Sauvignon Blanc SA will cater for every need with special promotions, delicious food and wine pairings, as well as interesting activities at wine destinations across the Cape winelands.
Why not plan a wine-packed weekend to visit some of the most innovative Sauvignon Blanc producers in the country:
- At Elgin Vintners, join a Sauvignon Blanc masterclass by winemaker Dr Marinda Kruger (7 May) with older vintages, the sold-out exclusive UK top-rated Sauvignon Blanc 2021, as well as the new harvest of 2022 on the lees. Also enjoy a 5km vineyard fun run (7 May) in aid of Grabouw Animal Welfare (dogs on leashes welcome), an oyster pairing (6 to 8 May), a Mother’s Day breakfast (8 May) and an orchid exhibition (7 to 8 May). Book here.
- On 6 and 7 May, at Diemersdal, Durbanville, you will be treated to a three-course seafood meal prepared by The Farm Eatery with Sauvignon Blancs from Spain, Italy, France and New Zealand. The whole range of Diemersdal Sauvignon Blancs will also be available for tasting while you enjoy live music. Book here.
- On 6 and 7 May, Strandveld Vineyards, Elim, Bredasdorp, will offer two special tastings, a Sauvignon Blanc and cheese tasting as well as a vintage vertical tasting where you can taste four vintages of Strandveld Pofadderbos Sauvignon Blanc and discover the ageability of this superb Sauvignon Blanc. For more information, click here.
- The Durbanville Sauvignon Soirée brings you two evenings of Sauvignon Blanc delight. Indulge in cool climate Sauvignon Blancs, music to make you sway, and scrumptious food that marries beautifully with wines presented by winemakers. On 5 May at Groot Phesantekraal, this includes canapés and tastings of Groot Phesantekraal, Diemersdal, Altydgedacht, Maastricht, Klein Roosboom, Meerendal, and DWV Sauvignon Blanc. Book via Groot Phesantekraal by calling 021 825 0060 or emailing [email protected]. On 6 May at Durbanville Hills, a two-course meal will be offered with tastings of Durbanville Hills, Canto, De Grendel, D’Aria, Bloemendal, Nitida, Signal Gun, and DWV Sauvignon Blanc. Book here.
- On 7 May at Groote Post, Darling, winemaker Lukas Wentzel will be presenting a range of Sauvignon Blancs from around the world as well as a few local selections and the Groote Post Seasalter. Chef Debbi Mclaughlin will be preparing a wood fired tapas style lunch with all the flavours associated with Sauvignon Blanc – think wood-fired asparagus, seafood with Asian spices, fresh mussels and other creative marvels. Book here.
- Celebrate at Vergelegen Wine Estate, Somerset West, on 7 May (2.30pm-7.30pm) for an exciting deep dive into the farm’s distinguished Sauvignon Blancs. Guests will meet at the tasting room and then be shuttled up to the very special Schapenberg vineyard block 320m above sea level. Here, they will take in the marvellous views of False Bay and the Helderberg while sipping on ice cold Schapenberg Sauvignon Blanc paired with delicious canapés. Thereafter Sauvignon Blanc inspired platters will be served at the winery hosted by the winemaking team. Book here.
- From 6 to 8 May, the Tokara Tasting Lounge, Helshoogte, Stellenbosch, is offering a unique Sauvignon Blanc tasting flight, which will include the fruity and crisp Tokara Sauvignon Blanc, the cool climate Reserve Elgin Sauvignon Blanc and finally, the newly released Tokara Directors White 2019, a barrel fermented blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon. More information here.
- From 6 to 8 May, Zevenwacht, Kuils River, will be open for Sauvignon Blanc tastings and will be offering a 20% discount on its cases of Estate Sauvignon Blanc 2021 as well as its 360° Sauvignon Blanc 2020. Groenland Wines on the Bottelary Road, Stellenbosch, will offer a 10% discount on its Sauvignon Blanc.
- A special Sauvignon blanc tasting awaits at Kleine Zalze, Stellenbosch, for the whole month of May. Prepare your taste buds for Project Z Sauvignon Blanc 2020, as well as the Kleine Zalze’s Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc 2022, Vineyard Selection Sauvignon blanc 2019, and Family Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2020.
Sauvignon Blanc, as the most-exported varietal of South Africa’s wines, is one of the country’s finest internationally known brands. Don’t miss this opportunity to taste and buy some of the best Sauvignon Blanc wines in the world – as announced at the recent international Concours Mondial du Sauvignon wine competition
“We are proud to build the Sauvignon Blanc SA brand together with our Platinum Partners FNB and EVER Solutions,” says RJ Botha, chairperson of Sauvignon Blanc SA. “Sauvignon Blanc is a great example of the complexity and diversity of South African wines and deserving of the international attention we are increasingly attracting.”
For more information, click here, email [email protected], or call 021 975 4440.