THE zero alcohol beverage revolution is here to stay and it’s an unstoppable trend. The market for zero alcohol beverages is booming as consumers become more aware of the benefits to their health, wellbeing and ultimately the planet. The iconic family owned and well-loved South African wine brand, Van Loveren, has launched two alcohol-free sparkling wines forming part of the Absolute Zero range following the Almost Zero brand launch, a trio of wines containing less than 0.5% alcohol that is defined as “non-alcoholic”.
By comparison, the Absolute Zero means absolutely that; 0.0% alcohol, low in kilojoules and calories making it the perfect drink to be enjoyed by everyone, anywhere, anytime. This zero alcohol sparkling wine is vegan friendly, satisfying the ever growing demand for local vegan wines in the South African mindful drinks landscape. It’s a wonderful alternative for fitness enthusiasts, teetotallers and conscious consumers.
Van Loveren’s Absolute Zero range comprises two wines. The classic green bottle is the flag-bearer and made in a drier style. It shows crisp tropical flavours on the palate, enhanced by strings of fine bubbles. Absolute Zero Nectar displays its light golden hue in a clear bottle and is made slightly off-dry. Its flavour shows notes of rich honey, fresh fruit and nougat that linger in an extended finish.
Order online here.
Entrepreneur, food consultant and plant-based advocate Mira Weiner s passionate about conscious living, plant based nourishment and holistic healing. She shares these recipes.
Coconut & Lime Panna Cotta With Strawberry Coulis
Prep time 15 minutes
Cooking time 30 minutes
Ingredients for the panna cotta
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or half a vanilla pod
- 1.5 tsp agar agar
Ingredients for the strawberry coulis
- 175g frozen or fresh strawberries
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
Method for the panna cotta
- Combine the coconut milk, maple syrup, lime zest, lime juice and vanilla into a sauce pan. Bring to a gentle simmer and make sure the mixture doesn’t boil.
- In a small bowl, mix the agar agar powder with a little bit of room temperature water to form a milky white liquid.
- Add to the saucepan and continue to mix for 3-4 minutes.
- If using a vanilla pod, remove before dividing the mixture into 4 glasses or ramekins.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for 3-4 hours or overnight.
Method for the strawberry coulis
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small pot and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool and blend until smooth.
- Strain the mixture and divide evenly across the 4 refrigerated panna cottas.
- The coulis can also be stored in a clean jar and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Serve with freshly sliced strawberries
Spicy Passion Fruit Sangria
Prep time 15 minutes
Cooking time 20 minutes
Ingredients for spicy passion fruit compote
- Pulp from 8 granadillas
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
Ingredients for sangria
- 60ml spicy passion fruit compote
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cut into triangles
- 250ml sparkling water
- 500ml Absolute Zero
- Fresh mint
- Cinnamon quills
- Star anise
Method for spicy passion fruit compote
- Place all ingredients into a small pot and cook for 5 minutes on high.
- Then turn heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Allow to cool.
Method for sangria
- Place ice, pineapple pieces, spicy passion fruit compote, cinnamon quills and star anise into a large jug.
- Pour over sparkling water and Absolute Zero. Serve cold and enjoy!
PHOTO CREDIT: @createcontentwithus